Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 23:06:08 +0800
From: Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Interleaving of intrinsics

> On Jun 6, 2015, at 7:47 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> Your use of VTune appears to be similar to use of gprof.  If you use
> VTune at all, I'd expect you to profile things such as cache misses and
> pipeline stalls, as well as utilization of the CPU's execution units.
> Things that only the CPU vendor's profiler is capable of.

I'll take a further look.

> On Sat, Jun 06, 2015 at 07:38:18PM +0800, Lei Zhang wrote:
>> Same settings as the previous, except for longer run time (--test=20):
>
> Are the benchmark results significantly affected by your use of
> profiling, vs. a non-profiled run?  This is very important.  In some
> cases, profiling may change performance by an order of magnitude or even
> worse, which means that its results would be of questionable relevance.

From the results of self-test, there's no noticeable penalty in profiling.

>> Use of intrinsics is counted as function calls
>
> That's weird.  You need to make sure they haven't, in fact, been turned
> into function calls or the like in this profiling build.  If they have,
> performance is probably at a level much worse than what we normally see,
> and if so this is an instance of the problem I mentioned above.

This is indeed weird. The previous experiments were done with gcc. I just profiled an icc build, and the result is vastly different:

Function				CPU Time
SSESHA256body		21.589s
pbkdf2_sha256_sse	0.287s
cfg_get_section		0.062s
SHA256_Final			0.012s
SHA256_Update		0.008s

This time intrinsics aren't counted as function calls. However, the self-test results of the gcc build and icc build show no big difference. This really confuses me.

Lei