Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 20:13:28 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: poor man's fuzzer

On 06/05/2015 03:08 PM, Kai Zhao wrote:
>> I don't have a goal to fully do this myself - rather my goal is to show to
>> you that there's more work on this, and that there's still plenty of
>> low-hanging fruit (that you somehow missed? or/and that got added
>> after you were done with fuzzing?)
>
> Thanks. I missed a lot. I will learn your script. If you update your fuzzing
> script, please let me know.

Alexander Cherepanov also posted a john format fuzzer some time ago
which uncovered tons of bugs:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.openwall.john.devel/8105

It needs some adjustments:
-it is not longer necessary to search the source code for hashes, this
can be replaced with ./john --list=format-tests | cut -f 3
-some hashes use additional delimiters between components of hashes,
e.g., '#' instead of just '$' and '*'.
and may be
-don't run each format against all the fuzzed format tests of all
formats (at least not as long as you find bugs by just fuzzing the
format specific hashes

Frank