Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 18:57:33 -0400
From: Alain Espinosa <alainesp@...ta.cu>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bitslice SHA-256

-------- Original message --------
From: Alain Espinosa <alainesp@...ta.cu>
Date:06/03/2015 1:24 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [john-dev] bitslice SHA-256

...For practical speed-ups with bitslice SHA256 we need XOP or AVX512 instruction-sets. AVX512 probably provides speed-ups for SHA1 format also. MD5/MD4 formats uses less rotation/shifts, so bitslice is less useful and probably never practical.

I recall one thing. Bitslice SHA256 use only bitwise instructions, so it provides a big performance improvement on CPUs with only floating point bitwise operations, like AVX for example.

Regards,
Alain
[ CONTENT OF TYPE text/html SKIPPED ]