Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 14:14:09 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [Johnny] Task 1.6.1 Multiple cracking session management

Gathering some previous important discussions from thread "Johnny further
development proposal" between Shinnok and Aleksey regarding this 1.6.1:

Aleksey said:

> To restore session, you just call john with --restore[=name] and it
> runs. Currently "Resume Attack" button uses it (but for 1 session).
>
> Parsing of .rec files is not hard though it is not considered a good
> style. You can store settings in a file created by johnny, maybe near
> john's session file. I think it may be used for some "whistles".
> Storing in your own file may be interesting because you can store
> additional values you need for other features.
>
> Though storing anything in files, you have to think about sensitive
> data and user expecting or not expecting the data to be written there.

So now, let's drive the discussion again. As I understand it, there is
always one and only opened file at the same time. So it means no tabs, only
one password tableview, one console log, one attack etc. at the same time.
Actually, the only thing that this task need to add is the option to choose
WHICH previous sessions that the user want to open INSTEAD OF always open
the last one. Is my understanding of the task right ?
Also, I understand why we need to keep track of the input password files
and .rec files to achieve this but why do we need to keep track of the .pot
files as Shinnok said ?
Last but not least, will the "Open session" button becomes a file browser
for any .rec files or will we manually keep track of the 5-10 or 20 last
sessions and show them in a UI friendly drop down list.
Thanks!

Content of type "text/html" skipped