Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 04:59:05 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] Task 1.5.1 Manual plaintext guessing

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 05:03:34PM -0400, Mathieu Laprise wrote:
> How is --stdin supposed to work ? I'm not sure to understand. I know for
> sure that the password for one of my hash is "baseball". I did ./john
> --stdin pw1.txt . I got a command line, I enter "baseball" and press ENTER.
> A new command line appears to enter another word. How do I trigger the
> attack with --stdin?

Your guesses entered so far will actually be checked against the hashes
when either all of the buffers fill up (stdin stream buffer and JtR's
own plaintext keys buffer, the latter one of which is hash type and
build specific) or there's EOF on the input stream.  So in your specific
example, you'd press Ctrl-D.  In Johnny, you'd flush the Johnny-side
buffer (if any exists) and then close the file descriptor.  Obviously,
this will also cause john to terminate once it's checked the plaintexts
entered up to that point.

Alexander