Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 12:51:38 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Interleaving of intrinsics

On 2015-06-01 07:52, Lei Zhang wrote:
>> On May 30, 2015, at 10:55 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>> Lei wrote:
>>> Somehow I couldn't get useful info from a forked run of pbkdf2-hmac-sha256/512. I used the same settings as I benchmarked raw-md4(5), but only got output like:
>>> Will run 4 OpenMP threads per process (240 total across 60 processes)
>>> Node numbers 1-60 of 60 (fork)
>>> Session stopped (max run-time reached)
>>>
>>> I tried increasing  --max-run , but to no avail. Something wrong here?
>>
>> I suspect max_keys_per_crypt might be too high.  You'd want to find out
>> what it was by examining the log file.  It shouldn't actually be high
>> for a slow hash like this, but maybe it is (and needs to be lowered).
>
> It's 15360. This doesn't look insanely high to me.

OMP_SCALE is 4 so 15360 should be for a non-fork run (SIMD 16x) with 240
threads. For a -fork=60 run with 4 threads each I believe it will be
just 256 per core.

You should try with OMP_SCALE set to 1 too, but I think this particular
problem is something else.

>> Also, you never mentioned your full command line.  There might be
>> something specific to the cracking mode you invoked and its settings.
>
> I used the exact same settings as I benchmarked raw-md4, i.e.:
> $ run/john --format=pbkdf2-hmac-sha256 --mask=?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l --fork=60 --max-run=30 hash.sha256

I just verified basic functionality with max-run vs. threads, fork, mask
mode and so on and see no problems (on my laptop). That was with the
first test vector of pbkdf2-hmac-sha256.

Does it say "Wait..." for about 30 seconds before ending without a
status line?

magnum