Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 04:22:45 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PHC candidates project - irc minutes

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 02:20:49AM +0200, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> L: Tried to run latest codeXL locally without success??? and suggested
> trying to run codexl remotely on super.
>
> A: Found problem in library dependecies when trying to run codexl on
> super and reported it to Solar.

I don't recall.  Was this a long time ago?  Can it be resent to me, please?

> A: Checked code size for parallel_opt and bleeding-jumbo branches,
> 33kB and 183kB accordingly (size of L1 code cache for GCN is 32kB).
>
> L: Suggested getting rid of #pragma unroll, but it did not help.
>
> A: Reduced code size by using #pragma unroll 1

The unroll count should probably be adjusted, most likely to different
values for different target devices.  Not unrolling at all is probably
not optimal.

> L: Suggested dropping code snippets which speeds up NV or GCN and try
> to focus on general version at the moment, and introduce architecture
> dependent code/optimizations later.

Sure, if there are still many generic optimizations yet to be
implemented, those should be added first, although this may mean that
proper benchmarking of them isn't yet possible.

Alexander