Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 21:09:48 +0300
From: Shinnok <>
Subject: Re: [john-core] Getting John's stdout unbuffered for Johnny

Your description of the problem is too hasty. You need to do a more informative writeup based on the Github discussion, so that the JtR developers understand the problem from Johnny's perspective and provide useful feedback from JtR's perspective. With the current definition, I don't expect anyone to weigh in.

You need to describe the two Johnny problems:
1. Console log output;
2. Getting status lines from JtR(gratuitous or on-demand; for additional functionality and monitoring);
And the three solutions:
1. flush() and writing '\n'
2. prospective --no-tty option could be unbuffered (setbuf(stdout, NULL))
3. --progress-every && --crack-status