Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 19:38:38 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [Johnny] 1.5.3 Code redesign and multithreading add-on

I'm putting in this thread all important informations from other threads
regarding the refecatoring of old Johnny code. This task will be my
priority this week. We can discuss it further in this thread.

Shinnok also said:

> 5. We need a way to keep track of the various john process we keep
> spawning. This gets us back to the backend separation discussion. For now
> we only need a simple class called TaskManager or TaskController. I'll
> write the basic stub for it, then Mathieu you can extend it further. We
> will use  QThreadPool and the start method. This pool automagically resizes
> and scales to available cores and cpus on a system, we don't even have to
> manage it, just queue stuff. This includes parsers like the show types,
> 2john's, the upcoming filtering code, and whatever we might devise along
> the road.
> 6. Any output resulting from any task in the TaskManager, including the
> show types parser should be signaled back to the UI, using
> Qt::QueuedConnection and in a fashion so that it is readily and easily
> consumed by the UI thread. For this show types case we would probably
> signal a vector of QStringList or a QMap<int, QStringList> if the rows will
> ever be the movable type. Only plain datatypes, lists and maps, nothing
> more complicated and nothing raw arrives to the UI. Anything that needs pre
> or post processing is done outside of the UI thread.

17:21:40 <shinnok> math07: point 5 becomes CoreHandler, it will handle all
                   instances of JtR clients and all compute intensive
parsing
                   tasks
17:24:21 <shinnok> math07: I'll write the stub then a subsequent e-mail soon

Content of type "text/html" skipped