Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 23:20:22 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PHC: Parallel in OpenCL

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 10:10:44PM +0200, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
> > On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 08:20:16PM +0200, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
> >> I increased the speed slightly:
> >
> > What changes did you make that resulted in this speed increase?
>
> As you said, I copied sha512block from cryptsha512_kernel_GCN.cl for
> gcn and cryptsha512_kernel_GPU.cl for others
> and I included
>
> #if !gpu_nvidia(DEVICE_INFO) || nvidia_sm_5x(DEVICE_INFO)
> #define USE_BITSELECT
> #elif gpu_nvidia(DEVICE_INFO)
> #define OLD_NVIDIA
> #endif
>
> I don't use USE_BITSELECT or OLD_NVIDIA but it's faster on my laptop

FWIW, USE_BITSELECT is meant to help on GCN (so on --dev=1), since GCN
has such instruction (and our NVIDIA doesn't; they added it in Maxwell,
which is newer than what we have).  But this isn't always the case in
practice due to source code and compiler shortcomings.  In general, if
USE_BITSELECT isn't helping on GCN, this suggests there's still room for
optimization... and then USE_BITSELECT will likely help.

> and I resigned from vectors, was slower with them

Alexander