Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 19:15:37 +0300
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Johnny: 1.5.2 Hash type suggestion/guessing, using
 --show=types (was: displaying full meta information about hashes with
 --show=types)

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 09:17:43AM -0400, Mathieu Laprise wrote:
> Aleksey said :
>
> > Possible features:
> > - global list may be used to limit list of available formats on
> > options tab,
> > - per line lists may be used to show possible formats in the table
> > view.
>
> I thought about those two features :
> 1) Add a new column in the password tab called "Type" (at the right of
> Hash) with a drop down list widget for each password. (a QComboBox)

Drawback: having a lot of hashes loaded (even 100, 1k, 10k, 100k?), it
would be hard to use the drop down lists. When user chooses a format
for a line, what should it mean?

I am not against such design at all, I just wanted to share my
concerns earlier.

For the beginning, I'd made a read only field that lists all formats.
Though it may overwhelm user. I am not sure that per line lists of
formats are useful now.

Some statistics about file may be helpful. Something like: all hashes
in the file may be loaded as ..., ..., ..., but parts of file may be
loaded as ..., ..., ... .

> 2) Later when we add filter(1.6.3), add a filter category Type where we can
> select with checkbox the types that we want to see/hide in the table view.
> It will hide corresponding rows.

It may work with read only field, so the filter would show a part of
file that may be loaded as a certain format.

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov