Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 20:55:45 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: displaying full meta information about hashes
 with --show=types

On 2015-05-13 19:37, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 09:43:45PM +0300, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
>> I implemented --show=types option that prints all meta information
>> about hashes from file. It tries all formats against all hashes and
>> prints result in machine parseable format. It applies even formats
>> that are disabled. It tries generic crypt always. It respects
>> --format= option. It does not bypass john's heuristics for generic
>> crypt.

Pardon me for not following but what is this for again? Some
functionality in Johnny?

> --bare-always-valid=Y and the setting work only if a hash on the first
> line is bare.

This is probably a bug. I recall having problems with this and this
might be it.

> 1) if prepared hash is not equal to contents of ciphertext variable,
> then printed information is about the input line, not about particular
> field. A parser may find the input line by number. I hope I print 1
> line for each input line (I am not sure though).

What about split hashes, for example LM? Hmm and what if there was an NT
hash as well? Are you printing three lines? Or are they separated per
format? I guess I should just try your patch..

> I am going to prepare pull request. A patch is attached.

+        /* TODO: Should john_main_process be checked? */
+	if (db_opts->showtypes) {
+		/* TODO: Do we need to print 'source' var? */
+		/* TODO: Forbid --salt= and --cost= selectors. */
+

IMHO, the Jumbo source code is not an appropriate place for your action
lists. And the core files are the worst of the worst places to put them.

magnum