Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 08:57:50 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] TODO and comments in code

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
wrote:

> A lot of the TODOs are not really TODOs, they are comments or questions.
> Only a few like the settings are show-stoppers. But in general, I don't
> think we're gonna gain a lot results feature-wise, quality-wise and
> design-wise rewriting the 159 TO DOS and it might requires a lot of work of
> coding + testing that we didn't break something. But they are cool notes of
> development, if we ever encounter bugs, some questions give possibilities
> about what could be the cause. A lot could be qualified as comments/notes
> instead of TODOS.
>
> Also, a lot are saying "I don't know if this is the best way of doing XXX,
> you can rewrite it if you want". I'll think for a few minutes about each
> TODO and ask myself 1)"It's not PERFECT, but is it good ? " 2) "What are
> the benefits of doing it now that it's already done and working?". If there
> are real benefits, I'll do it. If no, I won't and save time to work on new
> features. Do you agree with this methodology ?
>
> So I propose to do the important ones only and Windows support until you
> figure out 1.5.1 requirements. I guess it won't take you a week to figure
> 1.5.1 requirements out, so we'll be okay.

One thing I forgot to say is that Aleksey did a great job commenting all
the code, it's pretty easy to find what you're looking for. It's a really
good thing because since MainWindow class has 90% of the code of Johnny
(hopes it'll improve someday),it's harder to find what you're interested
in. I use control + find often but with Aleksey's commented code it's a lot
easier to figure things out. Nice work.

Content of type "text/html" skipped