Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 00:50:17 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Session names somename.[0-9]+ shouldn't be allowed

On 2015-05-07 17:36, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 05/07/2015 05:10 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
>>>
>>> jtrts.pl has meanwhile been changed.
>>> It uses --session=tst instead of --session=./tst now.
>>> But may be john used different default paths for .rec/.log, depending on
>>>   JOHN_SYSTEMWIDE_EXEC. That might have been the reason to use
>>> --session=./tst.
>>
>> Right.  Does the test suite read those files back?  Does it need to
>> clean them up?
>
> Currently, the test suite doesn't read back these files.

It might need to read them back in the future. And it does clean them up.

> No idea whether it might be useful to parse the log file in future versions.

This is planned, yes.

>>> And if the default location of .rec files can vary, depending on the
>>> john version, I'd need some way to query that default location for bash
>>> completion of --restore=[tab].
>>
>> Oh, you're right.  I don't use non-default bash completions myself (to
>> me, they're mostly an annoyance and a risk whenever I encounter e.g. the
>> huge set of pre-specified ones on Ubuntu), but I guess some people
>> appreciate them.  I'm sorry, I don't seem to have a good solution for
>> you. :-(
>
> I frequently use john's bash completion.
> I also use bash completion for other commands (git, make, etc.), and I
> know magnum uses john's bash completion a lot.
> (May be he's the only other user.)

I consider bash-completion the single most important improvement to
Jumbo ever and I seriously doubt we two are the only users. I know Jim
doesn't use it but that's because Windows is so solidly broken that a
completion literally takes seconds instead of milliseconds.

magnum