Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 20:39:02 +0300
From: Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Session names somename.[0-9]+ shouldn't be allowed

On 2015-05-06 18:58, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 12:38:21AM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> IMHO, restricting the use of session names somename.[0-9]+ that might
>> would be the best way to avoid trouble with --fork.
>
> OK, done:
>
> "Disallow session names with dots since these clash with those produced by
> --fork.  Suggested by Frank Dittrich."

Ugh, isn't it an overkill? I frequently use dots in session names. E.g.
in my CMIYC-2012 write-up[1] a script contains the following command:

   $john --session="$name.$basename" --pot="$name.$basename.pot"
--format="$format" "$@" "$file" &

[1] http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2012/08/13/3

Well, switching to another separator shouldn't be a big deal.

But I have started to include paths in session names, like this:

   $john --session="session/$name.$basename"
--pot="pot/$name.$basename.pot" --format="$format" "$@"
"hashes-2crack/"*".$format.john" &

To eliminate paths from session names, I will have to chdir into
session/ and add ../ into paths for pot files and files with hashes. Not
a big deal either. But then I cannot run it like this:

   ./run.sh enwiki-ru --wordlist=enwiki.lst --rules

because I have to add ../ into --wordlist which is quite inconvenient.

IMHO it's better to leave everything as it was before than trying to fix
a quite exotic problem breaking several useful and convenient (even if
unintended) features.

--
Alexander Cherepanov