Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 15:53:20 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [core john] [Johnny] Windows event loop

To have Windows support in Johnny, there might be several things but I'll
start with this one.

On Windows (tested on 8.1), Johnny can't terminate cleanly the main(and
only) process of JtR(equivalent of unix sigterm). So, start attack/pause
attack don't work. However, if we use the windows equivalent of SIGKILL, it
works.

1) However, I guess it's mandatory to give JtR a chance to do some cleanup,
right ???.

>From the Qt documentation,

> On Windows, QProces::terminate() posts a WM_CLOSE message to all toplevel
> windows of the process and then to the main thread of the process itself.
> Console applications on Windows that do not run an event loop, or whose
> event loop does not handle the WM_CLOSE message, can only be terminated by
> calling kill(). However, kill() doesn't give you a chance to do some
> cleanup.

2) I'll check the code to see if JtR has an event loop that handle WM_CLOSE
message.

Content of type "text/html" skipped