Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 18:58:28 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Session names somename.[0-9]+ shouldn't be allowed

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 12:38:21AM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> IMHO, restricting the use of session names somename.[0-9]+ that might
> would be the best way to avoid trouble with --fork.

OK, done:

"Disallow session names with dots since these clash with those produced by
--fork.  Suggested by Frank Dittrich."

http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/john/john/src/options.c.diff?r1=1.39;r2=1.40

> I think such session names should be invalid for --session=, and
> --restore= should not allow resuming if the .rec file contains a -fork=
> line, but no --session= line matching the session name indicated by the
> .rec file name.

I didn't bother implementing checks on --restore and --status.  I think
it's enough to have the check on --session.

Alexander