Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 17:29:39 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John core: --format=crypt rejecting descrypt hashes when it first found some bfegg hashes

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 12:37:01PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 05/06/2015 12:05 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> > I am not able to reproduce this.  What libc (and version) has its
> > crypt() refuse to process invalid descrypt salts, yet includes descrypt
> > support for valid salts?
>
> That's on Fedora 20 (soon reaching end-of-life) with libc version: 2.18
> and on Fedora 22 Beta 3 (all packages upgraded recently) with libc 2.21.
> I would expect Fedora 21 to behave like Fedora 20 and 22, but cannot
> test this.

OK, I trust you on this:

"Detect descrypt with valid vs. invalid salts as separate id's for our
heuristics on supported hash types.  According to Frank Dittrich, recent
Fedora's crypt(3) no longer supports invalid descrypt salts even when it
does support descrypt."

http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/john/john/src/c3_fmt.c.diff?r1=1.29;r2=1.30

Jim's patch in jumbo should be reverted when merging this.

Alexander