Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 18:20:33 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: [Johnny] Task 1.4.2 fork and OpenMP

> On 05 May 2015, at 17:06, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> Shinnok, Mathieu -
>
>> On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 03:22:55PM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
>> If we need John to print status, the official way to do so is by sending
>> it SIGHUP.  This makes it print status and update the .rec/.pot/.log files.
>
> Oh, if Johnny is going to request the status line from John very often,
> then updating those files each time would be a problem.  We might in
> fact need to introduce another way, to get only the status line.
>
> Alexander

We also need to consider the fact that we can't SIGHUP in Windows.

What I am thinking of is an --interactive option that allows control and report via standard in/out without the tty middleware.

This could then be evolved to include whatever Johnny might require of JtR in the future, while remaining a plain text interface and of possible use for other parties via scripting or wrapping(like Johnny is).

Shinnok