Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 15:51:25 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [Johnny] Task 1.5.1 Manual plaintext guessing

> On May 4, 2015, at 3:47 AM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>
> Also, regarding this feature "Manual plain-text guessing for individual ciphers (directly in the table view)", can you please describe a use case. I'm not sure to understand the concept of "ciphers". Is the use case : "the user try to guess the password for a user in the table view and we verify if he's right or not " ?

Task is [1.5.1] Manual plain-text guessing for individual ciphers (directly in the table view).

What I long thought would be a nice feature is having the ability to manually test guesses for a single(and maybe multiple?) set of hashes already loaded in Johnny. Most likely by using a separate column in the main table view of loaded hashes.

I know that this can simply be achieved by simple using or editing a dictionary in the wordlist mode as far as JtR is concerned.

Let's drive the discussion:

1. Would this be useful for anyone else besides me? My reasons include:
	a) quickly verify a known ciphertext - plaintext combo;
	b) "I'm feeling lucky" guesses;
2. Can we easily implement this with JtR(is the dictionary approach the only one)?
3. Should it be a transparent step/action that runs as a one shot task and results in an answer on the spot? (i.e. we don't have to start an actual cracking session)
4. Will this collide with an existing session for the current john.pot?

Shinnok