Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 20:47:56 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] Task 1.4.2 fork and OpenMP

Thanks Solar, I implemented your idea into the right places in Qt QProcess.
It works great! So now, Johnny --fork support new version of john with the
patch and older one.

On a different note, for OpenMP, I'm understanding that it's not a command
line option, it's something that you have to change in the makefile when
you compile. I guess that it would work AS IS in Johnny. Can we take a
decision about this discussion between frank and shinnok ? Do you want the
user to specify a different number of openmp threads or keep it simple for
him(default, number of logical cores) ?

> > Aleksey, Frank, is it my understanding that OpenMP is handled via
> > environment args? In this case, what exactly does Johnny need to support
> > in regards to that? (OMP_NUM_THREADS?)
>
> If you don't pass OMP_NUM_THREADS, the default will be the number of
> logical cores. Not sure if you really want the user to specify a
> different number. This could be useful if there is other load on the
> system.

Also, regarding this feature "Manual plain-text guessing for individual
ciphers (directly in the table view)", can you please describe a use case.
I'm not sure to understand the concept of "ciphers". Is the use case : "the
user try to guess the password for a user in the table view and we verify
if he's right or not " ?

Content of type "text/html" skipped