Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 18:32:39 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: External problem

Hi Kai,

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 08:38:10PM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
> I found a bug using asan when "--external=LanMan". But magnum
> and I are not sure whether it is really a bug. So could you help me
> to solve this problem?
>
> The problem is described here:
>
> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1149

Why, per magnum's comments, he does confirm this is indeed a bug.  It looks
like there's been an understanding problem between the two of you.

Since this is core John code, you should have brought the problem to
john-dev to my attention much sooner.

> I think it is really a bug, since there is the case that it tries to visit
> (sp-2)  when sp points to c_stack[0].

Yes.  I've just fixed it:

"In GCC-specific c_execute_fast(), initially set sp to &c_stack[2] so that
there's room for op_push_* to spill imm to stack even when there wasn't
actually a previous top of stack value to cache (since we're at the top level).
It is simpler and quicker to let them do it than to treat this as a special
case in the code.

Bug found and reported by Kai Zhao:
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/05/04/8 "

http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/john/john/src/compiler.c.diff?r1=1.15;r2=1.16