Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 08:26:16 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] Johnny further development proposal

> On Apr 20, 2015, at 5:47 PM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>
> Hey guys, here is my first draft timeline. I put it on gsoc website and in the list too. I'll appreciate any comments. Like Aleksey says, some tasks like jumbo support and 2*john conversion are not clear to me at the moment so I put more time into these activities.
>
> This timeline start on the first week of may(during the community bounding period) and at version 1.4 since 1.2-1.3 have Shinnok name on the roadmap. I'm not really experimented at planning so if something takes less time than planned, I'll start working on the next sprint. And if something takes WAY more time than planned, I'll take a moment to brainstorm about is this feature worth it or should we priorize another feature for the best of Johnny ?
>
> Sprint 1(week 1 and 2) :  Get familiar with john the ripper doc and codebase. Code, integrate, test version 1.4 requirements . Translation is already advanced but proper threading will introduce new changes and bugs that I'll fix.
>
> Sprint 2(week 3 and 4) :  Code, integrate, test version 1.5 requirements . Make builds for major platforms and send it to the list and johnny website.
>
> Sprint 3(week 5 and 6) : Prepare for sprint 4 and understand *2john conversion support(from 1.7). Think about a plan and show it to the list for approval. Code, integrate, test version 1.6 requirements.
>
> Sprint 4 (week 7 and 8) : Code, integrate, test version 1.7 requirements .
>
> Sprint 5(week 9 and 10) : If 1.7 isn't finished, continue here. Also, make some refactoring(if needed) to Johnny, retest everything we have so far and prepare for next sprint and think about jumbo support. Which thing do we want to implement? is it possible ?what are the risks ? how will we do it ? Maybe make a prototype ? Start implementing version 1.8. Make builds for major platforms and send it to the list and johnny website.
>
> Sprint 6 (week 11 and 12) : Work really hard on version 1.8
>
> Sprint 7 (week 13 and 14) : Work really hard on version 1.8. Start brainstorming with the list about distribution channels and supported platform to be ready for next sprint. Make builds for major platforms and send it to the list and johnny website.
>
> Sprint 8(week 14 and 15) : (Version 1.9) verify that everything build on all supported platforms, do some tests using VM from different platforms, fix platform specific bugs. Figure out distribution channel with the list.
>
> Sprint 9 (week 16 and 17) (Version 2.0) is released, I polish stuff and fix left bugs. A lot of testing.
>
> After GSOC : Gather feedback from people regarding version 2.0 and work part-time when school allows me on fixing them.

Mathieu,

Please try and expand each task that is obvious to you with a bit more words. This will help you get a better grasp of what each tasks actually implies. Don't be afraid to look in the code if you're not sure. Also please ask if you are stuck or about the non so obvious ones. Aleksey has already started on trying disseminate the jumbo and 2john tasks in a separate thread. For those two tasks we'll work together to find arrive to a plan.

You can use Google Docs for this.

Shinnok

Content of type "text/html" skipped