Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:17:12 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Advice on proposal: John the Ripper jumbo robustness

On 04/17/2015 11:01 AM, Kai Zhao wrote:
> Note: compile without asan and afl
>
> $ ./configure
> $ make
> $ echo garbage > test.pw <http://test.pw>
> $ time ../john --format=7z test.pw <http://test.pw>
> No password hashes loaded (see FAQ)
>
> real    0m0.041s
> user   0m0.038s
> sys     0m0.004s

[...]
> An way to optimize the dynamic_Register_formats() function is to
> traverse all the sections and generates the result (whether valid) for
> every dynamic section. In this way, we will use little more memory but
> we reduce the 10000 times call to 1 time call. I think it speeds the john
> without change the config file and it is not only for fuzz testing.

I don't think that run time matters for real john runs.
IMHO you should just find an easy way to reduce / avoid the time spent
here when fuzzing, and don't care about optimizing for real cracking runs.
This can be as easy as creating a macro definition instead of the hard
coded 5000, and changing the value to 10 (or even 2) for your fuzzing tests.

Frank