Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 13:12:33 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Improving Johnny

Hi Mathieu,

> On Apr 10, 2015, at 11:53 PM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
> I am a 3rd year software engineering student from Polytechique Montréal. Solar told me about enhancing the Johnny project this summer as part of GSOC. It really picked my interest for two main reasons.
>
> 1- I am passionated about security and I want to do a master degree in that field.
> 2- I love working with the QT framework and C++. I worked with them at school and I have done a 4 months 40 hours/week internship last summer in QT at Adacel (a company in the aviation field). I really enjoyed this internship and it gave me a lot of hands-on experience with QT.
>
> While reading the mailing list, I have seen that Shinnok and Aleksey were working on Johnny and that they couldn't participate as student. I'm really interested in working on Johnny. Would you guys be interested in becoming mentors ? In my last internship, my boss was busy and he appreciated that I was able to work on my own and be self-motivated. I wasn't always asking him for help, I was able to solve complex problems by myself and by reading documentation.
>
> I have looked closely at Johnny release plan to make a timeline. Would you prefer to do all features of a version before another(exemple: we do everything of 1.1, then 1.2 then 1.3) or would you priorize some important features first ? Also, what about the features that have Shinnok's name on it such as upgrade to qt5, ui overhault, rethink progress bar, Shinnok, do you prefer that I do it in my GSOC ?

We're very glad to have you as a potential candidate for Johnny.

In the light of the new developments and an evaluation I did for the current state of Johnny, I've updated the development roadmap with new or clarified tasks and reprioritized the individual tasks so that they are easier to follow in a linear fashion. I've also added a coding style rule, we should follow that. Please refresh at http://openwall.info/wiki/john/johnny-roadmap <http://openwall.info/wiki/john/johnny-roadmap>.
Yes the tasks marked with [TBD Shinnok] I'd like to take care of them myself, but I do encourage ideas and contributions of any kind.
In order to make things easier for you and grease your involvement as well as get a better understanding of Jtr and Johnny, I suggest you take on these tasks for a start in this specific order:

i. Version 1.4
ii. Version 1.5
iii. Version 1.6

By the time you completed those 3, which shouldn't be that long since none of the individual sub tasks are really difficult, you will have a good understanding of both Jtr and Johhny and we can proceed to the more advanced stuff. Aleksey, I suggest that we two take on the more difficult ones in the meantime so that we have solutions or sketches by the time Mathieu will get assigned any of that.

I've updated my Github repo with some changes that I was missing from Aleksey's and since you mentioned that you pulled mine and started the translation work on that, hold on to the patches carefully until I figure out a repo procedure with Aleksey, since we haven't really used pull requests until now and Github goes crazy when you do fetch&merge outside it's control(like I did..).

Shinnok
Content of type "text/html" skipped