Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 13:16:10 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [GSoC] John the Ripper support for PHC finalists

On 04/11/2015 01:18 AM, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
>> I suggest that you leave OpenCL alone for a moment (well, maybe right
>> after you finish whatever you're currently doing to it), and instead get
>> POMELO's SIMD code into the tree first.  Both SSE* and AVX2, please.
>
> I've added SSE2 and isn't faster (bleeding-jumbo)

May be it is a good idea to look how other formats where converted from
a simple implementation into a tuned implementation.
Since we don't have a tutorial or a how-to guide for this, I think the
best way to figure out what needs to be done is to look at specific
commits of a format that has recently been added.
I think the best candidate is the sapH format, since it has been added
recently, so that there aren't too many commits which are unrelated to
tuning the format.

$ git log sapH_fmt_plug.c

just shows 16 commits in bleeding jumbo.

Those commits related to JtR refactoring are quite easy to distinguish
from commits that actually tune the format.

Frank