Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 21:44:12 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [GSoC] John the Ripper support for PHC finalists

Agnieszka,

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 08:30:24AM -1000, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
> > Is your opencl_pomelo_fmt_plug.c still based on
> > opencl_mysqlsha1_fmt_plug.c?  (Sorry, I haven't looked at your latest
> > yet.)  I think you might want to re-do it in a cleaner way, based on a
> > more appropriate format for a slow hash.  magnum - any suggestions?
>
> I can reformat it

Huh?  Our use of the word "format" might be confusing.  I used to refer
to JtR "formats", like pomelo-opencl.  You might have interpreted it as
referring to source code style, a separate topic we're now discussing
with Kai and others in here.  I am not worried about your source code
formatting much, at least not yet.

There are other (real) differences between different OpenCL-enabled
formats in jumbo that you could use as a base for yours.  Those for fast
hashes contain optimizations that are irrelevant for slow hashes, and
some of those for slow hashes contain safety measures (the "split
kernel" thing magnum has just mentioned) that are irrelevant for fast
hashes.

Lukas - maybe you can explain fast vs. slow hashes to Agnieszka, on IRC
and in Polish?

Thanks,

Alexander