Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 19:13:04 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [GSoC] John the Ripper support for PHC finalists

Agnieszka, magnum -

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 03:33:03AM -1000, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
> > What GitHub branch are you currently committing to?
>
> opencl version using private memory is in private_memory branch,
> the older version of private memory also is in bleeding-jumbo and
> there is also a global memory version in older commit
> I will be working on bleeding-jumbo

I leave it up to magnum to decide how/when this code should be getting
into bleeding-jumbo.

> > On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 02:45:22AM +0200, ba wrote:
> > > I have a few new ideas about how to organize memory and I would like
> > > to try with every one. I'll send you results and the code at the end.
> >
> > You mean in pomelo-opencl?
>
> Yes

Is your opencl_pomelo_fmt_plug.c still based on
opencl_mysqlsha1_fmt_plug.c?  (Sorry, I haven't looked at your latest
yet.)  I think you might want to re-do it in a cleaner way, based on a
more appropriate format for a slow hash.  magnum - any suggestions?

> > > I have also a question about what are your expectations in the nearest
> > > future?
> >
> > I suggest that you leave OpenCL alone for a moment (well, maybe right
> > after you finish whatever you're currently doing to it), and instead get
> > POMELO's SIMD code into the tree first.  Both SSE* and AVX2, please.
> > I think you haven't done that yet, right?
>
> right

So, do you accept the task of getting the SIMD code in soon?

Thanks,

Alexander