Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 02:51:59 +0300
From: Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Advice on proposal: John the Ripper jumbo robustness

On 2015-03-29 14:08, Kai Zhao wrote:
>> it might be more of a distraction from focusing the actual fuzzing jobs.
>
> Yes, I agree with you. It would be better to focus the actual fuzzing job.

The first thing to do with fuzzing john is making john start fast.

I've taken a look at it. There are two easy things here: instrumenting
only a fuzzed format and john.c make john ~5x faster, removing most
content from john.conf makes john ~7x faster. That's 35x boost.

Solar, magnum, any other easy ways to make john start faster?

Kai, could you try to profile john starting process and find out where
most of the time is spent?

--
Alexander Cherepanov