Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:32:43 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [GSoC] John the Ripper support for PHC finalists

Hi Agnieszka,

On 03/24/2015 02:06 PM, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
>> For now it would be good if you could create account on github,
> clone magnum's repository and push your changes there. When you do so
> please share with us link to the repository.
>
> https://github.com/Lucife-r/pomelo here it is but sorry for *.o files .

Looks like you created/cloned a pomelo repository, and then copied all
the JtR stuff into it. (That's why you ended up with *.o, *.log and
other irrelevant stuff in your repository.

Instead, you should have cloned
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper

I'd suggest you clone https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper,
then make the required changes for john the ripper.
It would be good if you could first commit just the original pomelo
sources, then make your changes to these files, adjust Makefile.in and
add pomelo_fmt_plug.c in a second commit.

Afterwards you can drop your https://github.com/Lucife-r/pomelo
repository and post the link to your JtR repository here.

I cloned your https://github.com/Lucife-r/pomelo repository locally,
moved the src/pomelo*.c and src/pomelo.h files into my local JtR
repository (bleeding-jumbo branch), applied your Makegile.in changes,
and did

$ $ make -s distclean ; ./configure && make -s -j 16

I got a gcc warning here:

pomelo_fmt_plug.c: In function ‘pomelo_init’:
pomelo_fmt_plug.c:85:8: warning: variable ‘int_crypt’ set but not used
[-Wunused-but-set-variable]
   int *int_crypt;
        ^

$ cd ../run/
$ ./john --test --format=pomelo
Will run 8 OpenMP threads
Benchmarking: pomelo, Generic pomelo [Pomelo]... (8xOMP) Warning:
binary() not pre-cleaning buffer
Warning: salt() not pre-cleaning buffer
DONE
Many salts:	33027 c/s real, 4133 c/s virtual
Only one salt:	31372 c/s real, 3960 c/s virtual

The warnings
Warning: binary() not pre-cleaning buffer
Warning: salt() not pre-cleaning buffer
should be fixed.

And I think you really should add some of the POMELO tests in
Pomelo_testvectors.txt to the self test, to make sure your
implementation works as intended.

Frank