Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 11:52:57 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] Johnny further development proposal

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 09:04:21AM +0200, Shinnok wrote:
> I???m not eligible for GSoC anymore,

That's a pity.

> however, I am willing to work along side and mentor any potential candidate.

Thank you!

> Is the window over for ???official mentor" registration via GSoC?
> I???m going to coordinate with Aleksey on bootstrapping this plan soon.

It is still possible to register as a mentor for GSoC, and it is even
still possible to apply as a student in GSoC (this week only, though).
However, we did not list this task on our ideas page this year.  It was
only potentially open to you (but you're not eligible as a student) and
to Aleksey (but he's probably not applying for a variety of his own
reasons, although he's welcome to).  So it looks like it won't be worked
on under this year's GSoC.

Well, technically any GSoC eligible student may make any proposal, and
we'll consider it fairly, like we did back in GSoC 2011 when this task
was listed on our ideas page.  I am just being realistic here, so I felt
it'd be unfair to list a task on the ideas page where the chances of a
candidate without prior exposure to the task would be slim.  I primarily
view this as potential continuation of GSoC 2011-2012, where you and
Aleksey have already made competitive proposals (vs. other proposals we
received at the time).  Of course, I wouldn't mind it if another student
reading this impresses us with a proposal for this idea, and we might
accept him or her if so, but like I said I find this very unlikely.

Alexander

P.S. You might want to disable Apple's "Smart Quotes" and "Smart Dashes".