Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 20:02:49 +0200
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com>
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] Johnny further development proposal

> On Mar 24, 2015, at 12:26 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:52:57AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 09:04:21AM +0200, Shinnok wrote:
>>> I???m not eligible for GSoC anymore,
>>
>> That's a pity.
>>
>>> however, I am willing to work along side and mentor any potential candidate.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>>> Is the window over for ???official mentor" registration via GSoC?
>>> I???m going to coordinate with Aleksey on bootstrapping this plan soon.
>>
>> It is still possible to register as a mentor for GSoC, and it is even
>> still possible to apply as a student in GSoC (this week only, though).
>> However, we did not list this task on our ideas page this year.  It was
>> only potentially open to you (but you're not eligible as a student) and
>> to Aleksey (but he's probably not applying for a variety of his own
>> reasons, although he's welcome to).  So it looks like it won't be worked
>> on under this year's GSoC.
>
> We can never face a similar opportunity. So I'll work around my
> reasons and apply to gsoc.
>
> I'll need a huge help on identifying important parts and preparing
> detailed plan because I am not very good at planing.
>
> So far Solar Designer highlighted support of jumbo, *2john and OS X
> (including testing on various versions) as a minimal set.

All of those three highlighted by Alexander are high on my list too. I'll add to that proper backend vs UI separation and threading support, UI overhaul(we don't want the app to look reminiscent of the KDE 3 era in 2015 and beyond) and the ability to just drag files into the app, have *2john applied on them automagically and if successful start a session. If we do that at least in the near term it would be awesome.

It's great that you've changed your mind, so please go ahead and register and apply since you don't have that much left. :)
I have until Apr 23 I think to apply as a mentor.

Regards,
Shinnok
Content of type "text/html" skipped