Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 13:12:10 -1000
From: Agnieszka Bielec <bielecagnieszka8@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [GSoC] John the Ripper support for PHC finalists

I've implemented POMELO hash for John the Ripper using OpenMP and I also
have determined the plaintext format of PAMELO hash by modyfying slightly
pomelo.c

the POMELO function definition looks like:

int PHS(void *out, size_t outlen, const void *in, size_t inlen, const void
*salt, size_t saltlen, unsigned int t_cost, unsigned int m_cost);

where outlen is a parameter thanks to which we can manipulate the length of
the output hash

I've been restricted by John the Ripper format so in pomelo_fmt_plug.c the
salt contains of the real salt and the length of the hash. It also includes
m_cost and t_cost which determine the level of computation saverity.

The example of hash:

 $POMELO$2$2$S$982D98794C7D4E728552970972665E6BF0B829353C846E5063B78FDC98F8A61473218A18D5DBAEB0F987400F2CC44865EB02

   here the value outlen is equal to 50, S is the real salt and $2$2$ are
respectively t_cost and m_cost

It works (on my computer) but I'm not sure if everything is like should be,
specially get_hash_x and I'm using the ordinary malloc.

where to upload my code ?

pull request? If yes, on which branch ?

Good night and thanks for all your responses

PS. there is no SIMD or OpenCL implemented

> Sorry, it's only my fault.
> Now I keep my eyes on POMELO
> Thanks

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 06:36:03AM -1000, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
>> > I would like to apply for John the Ripper support for PHC finalists. I
>> have
>> > received a task - "add a JtR format for one of the PHC finalists" and
>> I'm
>> > workng on it now.
>>
>> Sounds good.
>>
>> > I must say that I don't have any previous experience in
>> > developing JtR so I'm learning this now.
>>
>> That's fine.
>>
>> > I think it will be one of yarn,centrifuge or tortuga.
>>
>> None of these are finalists.  Please pick up one of the 9 finalists
>> instead.
>>
>> If you don't mind answering, what made you think these 3 would be
>> appropriate, given that the task's name clearly says "finalists"?
>> (The task description also mentions "and optionally some non-finalists",
>> but it's probably not a good idea to start with the optional portion.)
>>
>> Can/should anything be described more clearly on our ideas page or on
>> the PHC website that would prevent this misunderstanding?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alexander

Content of type "text/html" skipped