Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 00:40:48 +0300
From: Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Extend AFL to fuzz as you want

On 2015-03-19 06:13, magnum wrote:
> On 2015-03-19 02:21, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
>>>
>>> But isn't the purpose of valid() to make sure all the other format
>>> methods only have to work with sane/sanitized input?
>>> Why should we care about segfaults etc. that would only occur after you
>>> removed some of the sanity checks in valid?
>>
>> That's an interesting question. Short answer: we should care about it
>> because such a crash could be due to a genuine bug. But it very much
>> depends on a particular hash/valid()/get_salt()/etc.
>
> Knock yourselves out guys, just do not open GitHub issues for crashes
> that you can only trigger after removing whatever protection we had in
> place for them. Not unless you actually *did* find a genuine bug *and*
> can describe (or fix) it.

Sure, removing such safety checks is only a trick to make deeper fuzzing
easier. After something interesting is found one has to check if it's
applicable to the non-modified program. If a genuine bug is found
usually it's easy to modify the sample to be acceptable the non-modified
program.

That was an easy part, now a bit more tricky one:-) There is a crash in
7z format if you raise LINE_BUFFER_SIZE to, say, 1000000:

$ perl -le '$k = 300000; print q{$7z$0$1$$$$$0$}, $k, q{$0$}, q{1} x ($k
* 2)' > test.pw
$ ./run/john test.pw
Loaded 1 password hash (7z, 7-Zip [SHA256 AES 32/64])
Will run 4 OpenMP threads
Note: This format may emit false positives, so it will keep trying even
after
finding a possible candidate.
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
Segmentation fault

Is this a genuine bug in your opinion?

On a related note, I think it would be nice to drop most lengths from
hashes. An attached patch both fixes the crash and ignores the data
length recorded in the hash (as a first step in this direction).

--
Alexander Cherepanov

View attachment "0001-7z-compute-data-length-from-data-and-bound-it.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (1050 bytes)