Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 14:27:02 +0300
From: Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Extend AFL to fuzz as you want

On 2015-03-15 02:12, Kai Zhao wrote:
>> Have you looked why it's slow? Perhaps you can comment some other
>> things out? As an extreme example, you can extract (some) valid()
>> function and run them standalone (with a minimal wrapper).
 >
> Thank you for your advice, and I will try it. I found the project
> fwknop bypass the hash functions just as you said.

Yes, and privoxy added special support for fuzzing -- cf.
https://www.fabiankeil.de/talks/fuzzing-on-freebsd/ , starting with the
slide 39.

>> But XML is not very convenient for a human to work with. I thought
>> about something like "$siemens-s7$1$%40h$%40h" or
>> "$siemens-s7$%d$%40h$%40h"
 >
> XML is sure not convenient but it is powerful, and the
> "$siemens-s7$1$%40h$%40h" is handy for user. I think I can support
> the both format and it depends on the user to use which. Is that OK?

I think it's premature to talk about it. Right now, it's not clear to me
that any modification to AFL is needed at all. Have you compared results
from you modified AFL? Does it work faster with john, more paths
discovered, more crashes found?

--
Alexander Cherepanov