Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 08:19:36 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 256/128 bit integer arithmatic

Hi Sayantan,

I'm sorry I didn't comment sooner.

On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 06:40:23PM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> Also using  less than 128 bits precision of hashes would mean various
> hashes would map to same location,

And that's fine.

> which is against the purpose of building such tables.

Not quite.  In fact, I think it's usually pointless to send bigger than
64-bit partial hashes to GPU.  We certainly can deal with the rare false
positives on the host.

So perfect hash tables based on 64-bit or smaller partial hashes make
sense to me, _if_ perfect hashes are the right thing to pursue at all.

Alexander