Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 13:48:54 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bcrypt-opencl (was: Xeon Phi)

On 2015-03-10 13:34, magnum wrote:
> On 2015-03-10 12:13, magnum wrote:
>> On 2015-03-05 17:47, Solar Designer wrote:
>>> I've finally cleaned up and committed my Xeon Phi support patch for
>>> descrypt into the core tree, along with addition of the linux-mic make
>>> target.
>>
>>> magnum - please merge these changes into jumbo.  Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Done now. The "master" branch of GitHub is also updated to latest core
>> CVS. Perhaps we should rename that branch to "core" instead but it's
>> been this way for so long it's likely better not to.
>
> Solar, Sayantan,
>
> I noticed the bcrypt-opencl format does not support $2b$ or $2y$, only
> $2a$ and $2x$. I guess that should be fixed? I'm not confident with all
> details enough to just go ahead and fix it.

Actually, here's a more complete story:

- in December 2014, Jim ripped common code from bcrypt and
bcrypt-opencl, and placed in BF_common.h & BF_common_plug.c. At that
point and up until today, the opencl would "accept" $2y$ but it's
unclear to me if it did so 100% correctly.

- today, I reverted Jim's patch because I can't maintain that big a
deviation from the core tree. Then I merged current core CVS.

magnum