Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 19:58:24 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Redesign Self-test for implementing compare on device.

Hi Solar, magnum,

>From format.h

/*... * Returns the last output index for which there might be a match
(against the * supplied salt's hashes) plus 1.  A return value of zero
indicates no match. * *Note that output indices don't have to match
input indices (although they** * may and usually do). * The indices
passed to get_key(), get_hash[](), * cmp_one(), and cmp_exact() must
be in the 0 to crypt_all() return value * minus 1 range, although for
infrequent status reporting get_key() may also * be called on indices
previously supplied to set_key() as well as on indices * up to the
updated *count minus 1 even if they're beyond this range. * The count
passed to cmp_all() must be equal to crypt_all()'s return value. * *If
an implementation does not use the salt parameter or if salt is NULL**
>  * (as it may be during self-test and benchmark), the return value must always
>  * match *count the way it is after the crypt_all() call.* * The count is passed by reference and must be updated by crypt_all() if it * computes other than the requested count (such as if it generates additional * candidate passwords on its own).  The updated count is used for c/s rate * calculation.  The return value is thus in the 0 to updated *count range. */

First, when salt is NULL, why does the return value of crypt_all() has
match *count the way it is after crypt_all() call ? Can't we remove this
restriction ? Here's the previously discussed idea on this issue:
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1030#issuecomment-70404396

Second, alhough the specification says output indices don't have to match
input indices, the problem is we're not strictly following this during self
test. During self test we have this restriction that the length of the
input key(set using set_key()) must be equal to the length of the return
value of get_key() for same indices.

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped