Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:25:48 -0500
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cygwin

---- Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Thanks!  In the fallback code, do you somehow ensure that JtR will
> refuse to work with files > 2 GB, rather than seek to wrong offsets?
> e.g. on Linux this is achieved by building without large file flags, in
> which case open(2) is called (by its libc wrapper) without O_LARGEFILE.
> How does Cygwin handle this?

Ok, I found the change made to wordlist.c, and it looks like will still work (fail) properly.  The code used to give a more verbose warning about 32 bit systems.  Now it will simply fail with an error message of ftell failure.  So I consider this issue resolved.  I am not 100% sure about a .pot file or a .log file over 2gb, BUT I think both of those are simply read sequentially, so there should be no 'signed long' seek issues.

- /* this will both get us the file length, and tell us
-	of 'invalid' files (i.e. too big in Win32 or other
-	32 bit OS's. A file between 2gb and 4gb returns
-	a negative number. */
- fseek(word_file, 0, SEEK_END);
- file_len = ftell(word_file);
- fseek(word_file, 0, SEEK_SET);
- if (file_len < 0) {
- if (john_main_process)
- fprintf(stderr, "Error, dictionary file is too"
- " large for john to read (probably a "
- "32 bit OS issue)\n");
- error();
- }
+ jtr_fseek64(word_file, 0, SEEK_END);
+ if ((file_len = jtr_ftell64(word_file)) == -1)
+ pexit("ftell");
+ jtr_fseek64(word_file, 0, SEEK_SET);