Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:12:28 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: oldoffice-opencl fails on 7990 in super

On 2014-12-18 16:40, Solar Designer wrote:
> On super:
>
> Device 0: Tahiti
> Local worksize (LWS) 64, global worksize (GWS) 4194304
> Benchmarking: oldoffice-opencl, MS Office <= 2003 [MD5/SHA1 RC4 OpenCL]... FAILED (cmp_all(1))
>
> It's too late to fix this for -jumbo-1 now, but maybe for next revision.

I spend so much time getting things to work with recent drivers, I just
can't spend much time on this old ones. Having said that, I did try a
little. A workaround for a newer driver may very well ruin it for an
older one and vice versa so regression testing is an endless job.

One problem is we have no way to tell at build-time what Cat version
we're dealing with. Theoretically we could add logic to common-opencl.c
and pass something like "-DDRIVER_VER=11242", maybe we should try that.
Ideally AMD should do that for us (I found out only yesterday there are
macros like __TAHITI__ and __BONAIRE__ but that's less important).

magnum