Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 09:30:14 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Jumbo 1 release

On 2014-12-11 11:58, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 11:30:30AM +0100, magnum wrote:
>> We are soon in a better-than-usual position to release a Jumbo. Only a
>> handful of GitHub issues are open that blocks a release. We are
>> currently trying to fix them and refrain from committing new crazy
>> stuff. What are the chances you can allocate time for a release?
>
> Luckily, this matches my own plans.  Yes, let's release it in December.

Current status:
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A1.8.0-jumbo1

I believe we no longer have a single OpenCL format that doesn't
auto-tune! And all of them that desperately needed a "split kernel" has
got that too. A truckload of minor issues (including with performance)
were fixed the last couple of weeks and we're now just testing & fixing,
no new features will be added.

Too bad we haven't heard from Sayantan for a while, I guess GPU-mask
will have to wait until J2. But the CPU-only mask mode has grown pretty
mature, with good speed, good node distribution and great support for
codepages if you wish (eg. ?L for lower-case 8-bit characters in the
currently selected encoding).

Incomplete list of tasks:
- Fix the remaining issues.
- Compile a human readable summary of changes. This is a huge job, there
are almost 6,000 commits. Perhaps the best way doing this is just
ignoring all separate commit descriptions and just review the format
list, relbench output, usage blob and new/changed doc files.
- Review a single diff against core 1.8.
- Review a single diff against J7.
- Verify that the documentation is up to date.
- Test on all odd systems we can think of (Sparc/BE tests were made
pretty recently).
- More verifying of performance:
-- J7 vs now.
-- non-OMP vs OMP w/ just one thread.
-- non-OMP vs OMP w/ threads.
- More abort/resume tests, with and without nodes.
- More ETA/progress tests, with and without nodes and before and after a
resume.

magnum