Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 00:34:44 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Crack 5.0's RULE_RESTART '*'

On 2014-12-12 21:49, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 12/12/2014 11:33 AM, magnum wrote:
>> On 2014-12-12 04:12, Solar Designer wrote:
>>> *hashcat compat is of more practical relevance now, even though Crack
>>> was first to use this command character.
>>
>> Hashcat also has +N and -N which I implemented but never committed
>> (http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2013/09/22/10) because they
>> clash with Single mode concat, and rule reject.
>
> When was the last time you checked hashcat for additional commands?

Never did. Has anyone done that ever?

> Do we need to consider InsidePro as well?

Any level of compatibility we can reach without sacrificing limbs is a
good thing but personally I'd put InsidePro in parens. Not because it's
inherently bad, I just haven't ever looked at it. Is it better than #cat
and JtR in any way? Is it free in any way? If not, who pays for it?
And... why? Does it even run on serious hardware? I'm not suggesting
anything, I just do not know.

> IIRC, there are already some incompatible deviations.
> Should the differences between John The Ripper, hashcat and InsidePro at
> least be documented somewhere?

If you decrease "should" to "could", I say "aye". Please do.

magnum