Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 01:22:09 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Configure error on cygwin

On 2014-08-04 17:45, Rich Rumble wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 5:33 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-08-04 05:22, Rich Rumble wrote:
>>
>>> FYI I got this error a few minutes ago:
>>>
>>> $ ./configure --enable-mpi &&  make clean && make
>>> ./configure: line 16: $'\r': command not found
>>> ./configure: line 31: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
>>> '/configure: line 31: `     ;;
>>>
>>> I had to use "d2u -f configure" for it to work..., if I didn't use -force
>>> it skipped it because "dos2unix: Binary symbol 0x07 found at line 14263"
>>>

>> I believe this is some problem on your end. There are no \r nor \a in that
>> file. Was this latest bleeding? Was it under Cygwin? Did you check out
>> using Git or did you download a snapshot tarball? Are you using some
>> third-part GUI for Git?
>>
> Same Git I always use :) TortoiseGit, it was under cygwin. Something weird
> was going on, I deleted the folder and started again (cloned the repo
> again) and I had to use d2u on all config* files for it to configure.

Until you have nailed what is happening I would stay away from any other
tools than original CLI ones. If problem remains, are you sure you don't
have some global git setting messing with line endings?

https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings

> I have just tried on a new host (everything is new) and same deal... Very
> weird... if I copy and paste the raw file from github, the 0x07 still shows
> up... I can see it's not ascii even in FF on line 14263
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/bleeding-jumbo/src/configure

I downloaded that file using wget and it ended up identical to my
original file. However, I was wrong: that FS line and one other in line
14395 does contain \a (0x07) - and they are supposed to. They can be
seen with 'less'. But there are no \r in the entire file unless you tell
git to add them on checkout.

magnum