Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 20:36:07 +0200
From: Katja Malvoni <kmalvoni@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ZedBoard: bcrypt

ᐧ
Hello,

There was progress with bcrypt on ZedBoard but I haven't found time to
report it earlier.

At the moment, performance for cost 5 is 3754 c/s achieved by offloading
more work on FPGA. Earlier, only the most costly loop was implemented in
FPGA and performance was limited by computation done on host and
communication overhead. Now, bcrypt hash is completely calculated on FPGA.
However, performance is still limited by communication overhead because I
transfer initial S-box values to the FPGA from host. I also avoid cmp_exact
(it only returns 1 if computing bcrypt on FPGA). Next step is to avoid
initial S-box transfers and store them in BRAM instead.

On higher cost settings, performance is: 678.6 c/s for cost 8, 179.1
c/s for cost 10 and 45.42 c/s for cost 12.

I tried measuring Zynq voltage during computation and it does drop so
initial assumption is correct. Voltage drops from 960 mV to around 890 mV
during computation when Zynq FPGA is fully utilized.

Code: git clone https://github.com/kmalvoni/JohnTheRipper/ -b master

Katja

Content of type "text/html" skipped