Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:05:15 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <>
Subject: Re: proof of concept converter of rexgen-like syntax into
 john rules

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 12:05:37AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> On 2014-04-17 23:58, magnum wrote:

> >>Just a quick note, I have great success with "1337" rules that don't
> >>replace ALL instances... But I get what you were saying :)
> >>

> >I bet that's very common. Doing what I describe above, we will create
> >all combinations of "only some instances" as well as "all instances".
> >But it would result in a large number of rules I guess.
> On second thought that won't happen they way I described it. This is a
> complex issue!

I've wrote a script to generate the rules. It is a proof of concept

It creates replacements for some instances, not for all instances.
$max_count controls amount of replacements of one letter.
$max_pos controls variety of positions of the letter.
If $max_count is higher than amount of letters in the word than we
replace all but we could be sure about the condition. Replace all rule
(s) is not used.

Aleksey Cherepanov

View attachment "" of type "text/x-perl" (2479 bytes)