Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:36:55 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Reload pot file

On 2014-03-10 21:48, magnum wrote:
> I still see one case of performance hit: If I attack the Gawker dataset
> starting with an empty pot file and running single mode, the first
> couple of minutes have a few occasions with up to 3.8 seconds of sync.
> But on the other hand, tens of thousands of passwords are removed in
> that time and if it wasn't for the fact salts are so heavily reused we'd
> got a great win from removed salts. So I think this should default to
> being active with no special options.

The major part of total sync time in the Gawker test described above was
finding the salt using a full scan. It turned out I could simply keep
the salt_hash table that loader uses after adding code in
crk_remove_salt() to update it when needed. This again decreased sync
times to <10 ms, wall clock total.

Keeping that hash table or not might be a --save-memory candidate.

magnum