Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 16:11:38 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: General question: Motivation to contribute

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>wrote:

> - money (gsoc)

GSOC has been, in my opinion, a good success for both the project and I
hope the contributors, most of whom have stuck around after.

> - participation in contests with john-users which was cool itself

This is fun and I don't even code! The tool is always getting better and
that's making security have to get better to.

> - possibility to do what I always wanted
> - some of my work was appreciated by the community (at least I hope so)

Yours and others, I love you guys man...

> - found a way to use my free time to something usefull (for others)

While the hard part is the development and maintenance of john, and it's
branches, I've tried to give back to a useful project that helps me in my
duties. I can't write hello werld (see), but I give where I can. I
"redesigned" the Openwall site a few years back, I try to contribute test
files to the wiki, documentation ask or answer questions. It's nice to be
part of something, even if it goes unnoticed/unseen. I feel good about the
project and what I've given, and I feel I need to do more here and abroad
in that manner.
FOSS is why for me.
-rich

Content of type "text/html" skipped