Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 08:09:08 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CUDA formats

On 2014-01-21 05:41, Muhammad Junaid Muzammil wrote:
> Exploring the repository, I found that there are more formats supported for
> OpenCL as compared to CUDA. I think the additional formats should also be
> written for CUDA. What do you say?

We should rather drop the CUDA support altogether because all
CUDA-capable GPUs are also capable of OpenCL. You should actually never
build -cuda but build -gpu instead. That way you'll have all formats.
OTOH as all CUDA formats are dupes of OpenCL ones you could just as well
build -opencl and have everything! Most of our OpenCL formats are also
capable of auto-tuning, while none of our CUDA formats are.

On top of that, no nvidia card comes anywhere near AMD in terms of
performance, at least when it comes to password cracking. So I'm not
very motivated to develop for CUDA at all. It's a dead end, OpenCL is
the future.

To somewhat disprove my point you could try to complete the wpapsk-cuda
format: Add the missing GPU-side functionality that wpapsk-opencl has
(should be trivial to port). Then add device auto-tuning. Finally try to
optimize it and see if it can be significantly faster than OpenCL on a
given nvidia device. That would be an interesting project.

magnum