Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:13:15 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Project Ideas

On 2014-01-19 17:39, Dhruv Kohli wrote:
> Hello,
>
>      I am really looking forward to contribute to Openwall Project,
> specifically Jtr. Is there any project idea that I can work upon?
>
> Thank You.
>
> Dhruv

Welcome. There are endless of things to do, it mostly depends on what
you're good at and/or want to work with.

Second to the mailing lists, you can regard the semi-official GitHub
repo as the center of JtR-Jumbo universe:
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper

The default branch is "unstable-jumbo" but it's permafrozen in an
archeological bugfix-only state so you should use the "bleeding-jumbo"
branch instead, for everything.

We use GitHub issues as a better-than-nothing bug tracker & to-do list:
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues

There's also an old wish-list on the wiki, pretty outdated. I don't use
it anymore but there may be stuff in there that's not listed in Issues
(while other things might be implemented already - I'll try to update in
soon):
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/wishlist

Also, a lot of formats are merely PoC code, totally unoptimized and/or
not using SIMD. Feel free to pick some and make them a couple hundred
percent faster with ease.

Oh btw we also have a Test Suite at:
https://github.com/magnumripper/jtrTestSuite

Do you have means/skills to work with OpenCL? Or 256/512 bit SSE intrinsics?

magnum