Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 10:05:47 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: ./john --test=0 --format=crypt --subformat=sun-md5 FAILED (was: Implementing
 --list=format-tests (help needed for --encoding=...))

On 01/02/2014 04:08 AM, magnum wrote:
> I can't reproduce but made some changes (implementation of crypt()
> varies). Unless c42e5e9 fixes it, please make a debug -O0 build and
> print a backtrace.

With linux-x86-64 and linux-x86-64-clang, I still get "FAILED (prepare)"
again.
What could I do to help debug it?

With linux-x86-native, the segfault is gone.

$ ./john --test=0 --format=crypt --subformat=sun-md5
sun-md5 not supported on this system

It might be somewhat confusing for users, that the output for
--subformat=sun-md5 is the same as for --subformat=invalid, since
sun-md5 is suggested as valid by bash completion.

Would it be possible to drop the " on this system" part if the subformat
is invalid?

Also, I wouldn't treat invalid subformat names of length 1 different
than others.
So, either add that line for every invalid subformat (but not for
subformats which are just not supported on the current system), or print
that line only for --subformat='?' (legacy support) and for
--subformat=help.

Frank